IBM SmartCamp is headed into September with an exciting recap of our first SmartCamp event in Chicago last week.
In collaboration with Technori, a turnout of nearly five hundred people came together on Tuesday the 26th to watch five local healthcare startups pitch their innovative products and services to a panel of judges and to hear from entrepreneur and investor Rishi Shah of ContextMedia.
Destined to discover new methods of streamlining and simplifying the healthcare industry, these five startups each took their turn in the hotseat:
- Markit Medical – A smart scheduler for your next healthcare appointment.
- Players Health – A mobile app designed to provide athletic organizations with the essential medical information and injury reporting to manage the health and care of youth athletes.
- ReadySet Surgical – A cloud based surgical coordination platform that consolidates logistics, confirmation and communication through one dashboard accessible by members of the surgical team.
- TapGenes – TapGenes helps customers take control of health and care for the people they love by looking at genetic history to lower health risks and live a longer and healthier life.
- Opternative (Winner!) – Eye exams from the comfort of your home.
Taking into account several factors, the judges chose Opternative as the Chicago city winner. IBM SmartCamps enjoyed hearing from all five healthcare startups, and determined that of the five, Opternative had the most viable, and sellable product that will be able to scale quickly to match demand.
Congratulations to Opternative and co-founder Aaron Dallek, who did a great job presenting on stage in Chicago!
How is Opternative reinventing healthcare? Take a look.
Opternative is the first-to-market eye exam and prescription company that costs less than a traditional refractive eye exam. It is registered with the FDA.
How does Operative work?
- Sign-Up: Answer a few questions to be sure you’re eligible
- Take The Exam: Use your smartphone or computer to take the Opternative exam in twenty-five minutes or less.
- Doctor Review: Sit tight for twenty-four hours while a doctor in your state reviews and approves your prescription.
- Get Your Prescription: Your signed prescription can be used anywhere.
What else did the Chicago audience learn? They walked away with a new outlook on how healthcare works and some great words of wisdom from the keynote presenter Rishi Shah for aspiring and current entrepreneurs, “During our first two years, I called on a customer 21 times and left 21 voicemails. The 22nd call went great.”
Rishi reminds us that, as entrepreneurs, our journey is to keep pushing forward despite setbacks and obstacles. Thank you to all five startups who participated in the Chicago event and to those who came to hear them pitch!
Congratulations to Opternative and onward to Singapore! For a complete look at application deadlines and public SmartCamp events, click here: http://www.smartcamp2015.com/cities/. Stay tuned for more SmartCamp stories in your city.